There are many benefits of working out in swimming pools. Not only is it easier to stay cooler in a pool, but the workout itself has massive perks. Here are some additional benefits:
- The average thirty minute pool workout burns approximately 300 calories. It takes the elimination of 3500 calories to burn off a pound of body fat. A minimum three to four times per week pool workout is recommended, so a mere three to four weeks will result in measurable weight loss.
- Pool workouts are a great way to build up cardio endurance. When in cooler water, the blood moves through the body at a faster rate to warm it up. When coupled with an aerobic program, the result is an improved cardiovascular performance over time.
- When strength training, the muscles require rest time in order to repair themselves. On off days, those that exercise are urged to use other muscles or simply take the day off. Due to the buoyancy of the water and the lack of impact that joints and muscles receive, many exercisers are encouraged to perform pool workouts on off days. Pool workouts are the alternative to losing out on a day’s worth of exercise time as they allow for active recovery. Not only can fat burning continue, but the active training can help build muscle more quickly while continued conditioning occurs.
- Unlike many exercises, the pool provides a “soft” environment for workouts. Not only do you not have to worry about falling, as the water supports the body in every position, but the water also helps alleviate the feelings of fatigue because it’s supporting so much of the body’s weight. In addition, flexibility results due to the wider range of motion the body can achieve due to the absence of gravity acting on the joints.
- Like any regular exercise, pool workouts are great stress relievers. The exercise stimulates the brain to release chemicals that make the body feel good. When performing pool exercises in warmer water temperatures, the movement of water against and over the body results in both massage and relaxation. This calming effect can decrease or eliminate the pain resulting from a workout.
- If you’re a strong swimmer, then even in the deep end, your workout does not require any additional equipment. Due to the resistance of water, pool workouts in just waist or chest high water is quite effective for weight loss, cardio and strength training.
The benefits of pool workouts are numerous. If accessible, give pool workouts a try to begin an exercise program or enhance an existing program.